Sunday, May 9, 2010

Big Bear Lake, CA

Well I am taking my official second day off. On the trail these are called "zero days." This means that you have hiked no miles that day. I just got done with 6 days out: 17 miles, 12 miles, 13, miles, 30 miles, 19 and 10. My pack was a bit heavier with an ice axe and microspikes (crampons for tennis shoes that help you walk in the snow) along with all the food. On day two and three I had to deal with hiking on snow and navigation, two things I have never done! Definitely burned more calories and had a higher level of stress. The area is named the San Juacinto Wilderness, near Idyllwild, CA. On day three I decided to summit Mt. Marion at around 10,388 ft above sea level. After that I descended and glacaded for the first time. Here's how it works: sit on your butt start sliding on the snow, then use the pick on your ice axe as a rudder and a brake. Lots of fun and very fast, but I snapped one of my shoulder straps in the process.
On day four I did a 30 miler on easy terrain, and ended up camping on the Whitewater River. We arrived around 4 pm and swam for an hour after the long hike through the desert. A perfect day.
New trail names: Jaybird, Sir-Mix-A-Lot, April Showers, Structure, and my favorite yet: Beer Gryllis-Man vs. Beer.
New animals: bat, kit-fox, 5 different lizards, centipede.

Still having a problem getting pics, I may start a photobucket account and I'll send out the link. Happy mothers day!!

3 comments:

  1. holy crap, crazy stuff going on on the PCT!

    http://www.tehachapinews.com/content/dangerous-devices-close-tehachapi-segment-pacific-crest-trail/29490

    take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping up with you. Take care of yourself. Need anything...send email. I love to send mail drops !!!

    Tom and Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like things are going great so far! I hope you are having fun and we get to see pictures soon!

    Arielle

    ReplyDelete