Saturday, May 22, 2010

Hiker Heaven!




Well, I am writing you all from the infamous Saufley's Hiker Heaven. They are a couple that runs a hostel free of charge in Agua Dulce, CA. They are running a makeshift post office out of the garage along with a laundry facility, a tent city, single wide trailer for cooking and showers, etc. The town is an equestrian community with a local rock outcropping which many movies were filmed.



As for my last stretch of trail: I hiked over a mountain called Baden Powell, another snow covered mountain. On the way down I spotted a bear and got some pics that were too far away. That night I camped at a stream and didn't realize the bones on the ground til morning. Turned out to be two full stripped carcases of some unlucky big horn sheep taken down by a mountain lion.



The next two days were road walking due to a reroute of trail from last years fire. NOT FUN!!! It feels like you are on a treadmill. Then yesterday coming into town I was within 6 inches of stepping on a rattlesnake. It was the first time that I've jumped probably 5 feet with a full pack on.



Coming into town at 2pm I went straight to the cafe and ordered 3 milkshakes, burger and fries, and a pitcher of beer. Had to fill up before I went to the grocery store!



I will be recieving mail drops at the following address if anyone is interested.






Attn PCT Hiker: Michael Huff



Kenedy Meadows General Store



96440 Beach Meadows Rd



Inyokern, CA 93527






Sorry I haven't gotten back to each of you individually, just limited on computer time and a little brain dead after hiking in the desert. Hope all is well in all your lives, walking through the Mojave next!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mike

    Laura is in Lancaster at Hiker Heaven 5-23. Has to pick up a package in Tehachapi on Tues. Keep an eye out for 'Squarepeg'. Stay safe.
    Capt Larry

    ReplyDelete