Sunday, March 28, 2010

What am I bringing? As little as possible!

Well, since I have done an extensive hike before, my mind is programmed to reduce weight as much as possible when carried by "me". So I have decided to construct my own pack and shelter (tarp) to reduce weight and do it economically. All of my other gear (except my stove) was store bought. Eventually I may attempt making rain gear and other clothes, but for now I don't have the time. Here we go:

Backpack
Tarp
Sleeping bag
Sleeping pad
Ground cloth
1 large trashbag
2 trekking poles

Stove (with wind screen)
1 pot
Fuel (denatured alcohol)
Spoon
Small green scrubber


Long johns
T-shirt
1 pair shorts
Fleece top
Rain jacket
3 pairs of socks
warm hat
Baseball cap
2 bandanas
Tennis shoes (with an upgrade for inserts)
Ankle high gaiters
Sunglasses
Analog/digital watch


Small flint
1 lighter
2nd skin and adhesive bandages (blister care)
Ibuprofin and excedrin
Pocket knife
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
Floss
Nail clippers
Head lamp
Sunscreen
Duct tape
Chap stick
Small wallet
100 ounce Camelbak bladder
Camera (w/charger, cable, spare battery, thumb drive)

Guidebook
Something to read
Journal
1 Pen
1 Pencil

5-7 days of food
1-3 liters of water

In central California I will pick up additional gear that will be mailed by my folks. This is due to the high Sierras. This mountain chain requires hiking at higher elevations along with leftover snow from the winter still on the ground in June . There is also a greater chance of a bear encounter. So here are the additions:

Ice axe
Rain pants
Sleeping bag liner
Bear canister
I am sure there is something that I have forgot, but this is it for the most part. I should have a base pack weight soon, which will not include food and water. More to come soon!!



4 comments:

  1. Don't forget a stool -- you're going to need something to sit on. GO HEAVY!

    ~Mountain Slayer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    Keep us posted on your exploits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is a bear cannister...and don't forget to hit Trader Joes while going through Cali.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. "What am I blogging? As little as possible!"
    leaving us hanging, huff... we'd like to hear from you. it's almost time!!!

    ReplyDelete